Ron/Hermione Colorful Winter Quote!Fic Challenge
How to Participate:
We've chosen a winter theme, seventy-five random quotes, and a color as the prompts for this challenge. If you're interested in participating:
+ Choose an available prompt number between 1 and 75, and comment to this post with your number selection. Council will edit your post, adding the quote and color which corresponds to the number you've chosen.
+ Prompts may be claimed only once, and will be assigned on a first come, first served basis.
+ Council will edit this announcement to reflect which prompt numbers have been claimed and by whom, but make sure to check the other comments to verify whether or not the number you want has been claimed since the master list was last updated.
Rules and Restrictions:
+ While other characters are allowed, submissions must focus on the Ron/Hermione relationship.
+ Your assigned quote must be used verbatim within the story -- hence the challenge. The quote may be broken up to allow for descriptive dialogue tags, but the remainder of the quote must follow in the same paragraph by the same speaker. For example, the assigned quote is, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." Its use within your fic might be, "Frankly my dear," he said, pausing to pull the door open and stare her down, "I don't give a damn."
+ The color you are assigned must be used in the story in an obvious way.
+ All submissions must be set in the winter season.
+ Submissions must be written from either Ron or Hermione's POV only, i.e., not from Harry's or Malfoy's perspective. However, different types of POV (first, second, or third person) are acceptable.
+ Stories may be rated G to NC-17. Be sure to consult and follow Checkmated's Rating Guidelines when choosing a rating for your fic. The submission of NC-17 fics requires the author to be 18 or older, and have Bedchamber access.
+ The standard 1,000-word minimum applies to all submissions.
+ All other rules and standards within Checkmated's Submission Guidelines will apply.
+ Challenge submissions will not be judged.
+ Challenge submissions will not be edited by Checkmated prefects. BE SURE YOUR STORY IS BETAED BEFORE SUBMISSION. We expect submissions to be free of spelling, punctuation, grammar, and obvious canon errors. Council reserves the right to reject any fic containing too many errors or otherwise unfit for publication.
+ The story summary should include a synopsis of your fic, your quote prompt, and a designation that the submission is for the Ron/Hermione Colorful Winter Quote!Fic Challenge.
Challenge entries must be submitted to the challenge queue through the "Add a Story" page.
+ The deadline for submissions is midnight EST, January 15, 2008.
Sign up now!!! It's going to be fun to see who gets which prompts, and then read the final results. Enjoy!
Please post any challenge-related questions to this thread so everyone can benefit from the answers.
Sorry, but we are SOLD OUT of quotes!!!
1. "I think somehow we learn who we really are and then live with that decision." -- Eleanor Roosevelt (color: silver) ladybracknell
2. "There are limits to self-indulgence, none to self-restraint." -- Gandhi (color: gold) MsChangifyourenasty
3."Women like silent men. They think they're listening." -- Marcel Archard (color: maroon) woollybladders
4. "We all agree that your theory is crazy, but is it crazy enough?" -- Niels Bohr (color: olive) punimpotter
5. "Right or wrong, it's very pleasant to break something from time to time." -- Fedor Dostoevski (color: burgundy) librawriter
6. "What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson (color: pewter) Jenannbradley
7. "Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." -- Erika Jong (color: plum) Kirstylou
8. "I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -- Gilda Radner (color: salmon) seakays
9. "Not all those who wander are lost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien (color: crimson) lauryne
10. "Whenever I have to decide between two evils, I always choose the one I haven't tried before." -- Mae West (color: coral) Allybee
11. "I am not young enough to know everything." -- Oscar Wilde (color: violet) kjcp
12. "The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared." -- Lois Lowry (color: red) PigWithHair
13. "Nothing is so strong as gentleness; nothing so gentle as real strength." -- St. Francis de Sales (color: blue) PureBlood Muggle
14. "I never liked anyone who didn't have a temper. If you don't have a temper, you don't have any passion." -- Michael Bloomberg (color: yellow) PhoenixStAr
15. "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -- Friedrich Nietzsche (color: green) belladonna803
16. "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -- Eleanor Roosevelt (color: orange) TheGiantSquid
17. "The truth is rarely pure and never simple." -- Oscar Wilde (color: black) magickat
18. "Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never." -- Charles Caleb Colton (color: white) queenbee23
19. "The worst guilt is to accept an unearned guilt." -- Ayn Rand (color: apricot) Ozma
20. "This started off as a father-daughter adventure, and it's gotten wonderfully out of hand." -- Jessica Dubroff (color: chartreuse)QueenWeasley
21. "Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." -- Thomas Paine (color: chestnut) clara86
22. "In prosperity our friends know us, in adversity we know our friends." -- Churton Collins (color: chocolate) spidergirl
23. "Marriage means expectations and expectations mean conflict." -- Paxton Blair (color: cinnamon) dresa
24. "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." -- Mark Twain (color: cobalt) SerpentPride
25. "Some people are so afraid to die that they never begin to live." -- Henry Van Dyke (color: cream) huskydog101
26. "Fame is proof that people are gullible." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson (color: eggplant) RonHermione33
27. "You can't deny laughter when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants." -- Stephen King (color: fuschia) fitzette
28. "You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself." -- Sam Levenson (color: magenta) ladybleugonewilde
29. "A yawn may be bad manners but it's an honest opinion." -- Evan Esar (color: ivory) Laurey
30. "Unless you're ashamed of yourself now and then, you're not honest." -- William Faulkner (color: jade) Auds
31. "If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?" -- Will Rogers (color: khaki) Wannabeapotter
32. "Imagination is a poor substitute for experience." -- Havelock Ellis (color: lavender) snowyowl7
33. "Marriage is a great institution, and no family should be without it." -- Channing Pollack (color: lemon) swimchick
34. "I am better than my reputation." -- Friedrich von Schiller (color: lime) Babybee
35. "Everyone has a talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark places it may lead." -- Erica Jong (color: mauve) Athea
36. "Genius does what it must, and talent does what it can." -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton (color: mustard) Strider
37. "Think wrongly, if you please, but in all cases think for yourself." -- Doris Lessing (color: ochre) Gilly
38. "Women are perfectly well aware that the more they seem to obey the more they rule." -- Jules Michelet (color: orchid) toshiesqueeze
39. "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." -- Jimi Hendrix (color: peach) nates1mom
40. "If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?" -- Lily Tomlin (color: persimmon) Kate
41. "Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive." -- Elbert Hubbard (color: pink) meesha1971
42. "The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend." -- Abraham Lincoln (color: puce) exartemarte
43. "If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Terersa (color: pumpkin) nundu
44. "The best proof of love is trust." -- Joyce Brothers (color: rose) anony2
45. "The heart has reasons that reason does not understand." -- Blaise Pascal (color: rust) malvernrob
46. "Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go." -- Herman Hesse (color: saffron) harrysmom
47. "Life isn't a matter of milestones, but of moments." -- Rose Kennedy (color: saphire) jaguarweasley
48. "Wisdom is knowing what to do next; virtue is doing it." -- David Star Jordan (color: sangria) Hermytwin027
49. "Truth springs from arguments amongst friends." -- David Hume (color: scarlet) MistressAriadne
50. "What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?" -- George Eliot (color: seashell) Erinanne
51. "You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel, but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings." -- Pearl S. Buck (color: sepia) RedSioda
52. "I never think of the future, it comes soon enough." -- Albert Einstein (color: grey) annasmit
53. "It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day to day basis." -- Margaret Bonnano (color: tan) Roswellchic218
54."Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." -- Soren Kierke Gaard (color: tangerine) mistofeles7
55. "Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it." -- Madeleine L'Engle (color: taupe) Hidden Firecraker
56. "You don't have to think about doing the right thing. If you're for the right thing, then you do it without thinking." -- Maya Angelou (color: teal) Bethzc
57. "Fear makes strangers of people who would be friends." -- Shirley Maclaine (color: thistle) kismet15983
58. "Dreams can be such dangerous things: they smolder on like a fire does, and sometimes consume us completely." -- Arthur Golden (color: turquoise) enomis57
59. "Something still exists as long as there's someone around to remember it." -- Jodi Picoult (color: wheat) AmieAM
60. "Real love stories never have endings." -- Richard Bach (color: wisteria) Ronaldwheezy
61. "Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired." -- Robert Frost (color: cerise) SnorkackCatcher
62. "Marriage is not just a spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash." -- Joyce Brothers (color: coral) OpheliaBing
63. "Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." -- Brendan Gill (color: amaranth) splash1
64. "The secret to a good life is to have the right loyalties and to hold them in the right scale of values." -- Norman Thomas (color: amber) rainclouds
65. "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." -- Sir Winston Churchill (color: mahogany) NikkiWeasley
66. "Things do not change; we change." -- Henry David Thoreau (color: tangerine) magentabear
67. "We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves." -- Lynn Hall (color: brown) starkitty713
68. "Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway." -- Elbert Hubbard (color: auburn) Michelleypie
69. "Dreams that do come true can be as unsettling as those that don't." -- Brett Butler (color: buff) cowsgomoo
70. "A room without books is like a body without a soul." -- Cicero (color: tan) rhweasley4evah
71. "If an idea is worth having once, it's worth having twice." -- Tom Stoppard (color: beige) Potterhead
72. "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try." -- Beverly Sills (color: purple) ronloveshermione55
73. "The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own home." -- Harold B. Lee (color: pear) mima
74. "Humor is also a way of saying something serious." -- T.S. Elliot (color: charcoal) Eres
75. "The British love permanence more than they love beauty." -- Hugh Casson (color: bronze) Attila
Edited by Mizaya, 29 October 2007 - 07:50 PM.